Friday, September 12, 2014

Weekend Links: More on Humor


For those who've read my post about humor, this will be a fitting follow up. I've been trying to pay attention to different types of humor as I've gone about my daily routine. I caught the video above on Facebook last week and enjoyed it. 

As you watch it, try to hear the words separate from the visuals. The words are hilarious alone and when added to the context of the video, it's brilliant.


Of course, the compilers of the video didn't create any visual humor, they just capitalized on existing footage by adding some pretty funny (and family friendly) verbal humor.  

But illustrators have loads of opportunities to create visual humor in subtle and not-so subtle ways. Looney Tunes creators were masters at this, which is why their appeal crosses generations. One of my favorite Bugs Bunny cartoons is a perfect example of how an illustrator (and how an author with carefully played art notes) can add multiple layers of humor. Notice the name plates of the knights in the following clip:




Now moving into this century, I finally watched the Life of Pi. So much understated humor, which I love, but my favorite line of the movie had to be when Pi's father was talking about their move from India to Canda:
  1. Pi's Father: "We will sail like Columbus."
  1. Pi: "But Columbus was looking for India!"
I wish I could have found a video clip for that scene, but this behind the scenes video captures some of the humor a lot of beauty that went into the film.

I hope something tickles your funny bone and your funny pen and I hope you have a great weekend.





6 comments:

  1. I totally busted a gut watching the NFL lip reading, so hilarious! My fav was Peyton Manning w/the Voldemort reference. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stop laughing :) The first video it's fantastic:) Love bugs bunny :) Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watched it....well a lot and it still makes me laugh.

      Delete
  3. The Life of Pi made such an impression on me, Johnell. Thanks so much for sharing all of these!

    ReplyDelete