Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Drawing--sometimes literally--From What You Know


Drawing my son did for his A stroll down the Rale Rode Line story.
One of the biggest rewards I've found from starting this writing journey is watching my children join in. They started by "illustrating" my manuscripts and have moved to writing and illustrating their own. 

I receive thousands of papers from school--turkeys made from palm prints, etc.--most of which end up recycled. The stories my children write, however, I file away. Like this one I just received, original misspellings intact:

A stroll down the Rale Rode Line
Once aboute when I was a baby we wer on a trane going mak one. They dont call it a bullit trane for nothing. We only went throw 6 tonels Bfore my hare was sticking up like a porkypine! In about ten mins We wer at our stop at the childrins muzeume ther are toys instead of pantings and fosels. Oh no I forgot to tell you I was three! Oh it says it on the first sentenc sory. As I was saying we wer at the childrins muzeume. I went in a tonel with toy bats wen we got out we wer at the pool for the muzeum. I went Houem after the pool and said "good by" to all of the kids and drove houem. the end.

I've heard of authors who wrote stories and kept journals from the moment they could hold a pencil. I can't say that was me, nor was I a big journal keeper. I did have one, but I usually used it to write scathing entries about how my parents or siblings wounded my feelings. Then I'd leave it conspicuously open where the offending party could see it and be overcome with remorse at their unconscionable offense against my person. 

As the video below shows, however, keeping a real journal can pay off, or at least drawing, and writing, from what you know, which is one reason I'm holding on to my children's stories. They may want them some day.



Before I sign off, Literary Rambles is host in a Q&A with Stephen Barbara of InkWell Management. If you have a question, you have until tomorrow noon (June 10, not sure on the time zone) to send your answer to Casey's email listed on her site. Only five question will be selected, so get on it if you're interested. 

Have a great week.


9 comments:

  1. Inventive spelling.... Once it's gone, it's gone. Like videotaping our kids crawl before they walk (my daughter had an inventive crawl)-- The need to record and write and tell is eternal, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. This was, fortunately at the beginning of the school year. Much has improved. :)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful story, Johnell. I hold onto everything my children write, too. Every word is precious. You are right about the "thousands" of school papers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could reforest the world with all the paper that comes home. :)

      Delete
  3. I was a big journal keeper growing up. I still have them somewhere. I should dig them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should. Who knows what best seller might be in there. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, these early writings are especially precious. I have more stuff saved from my kids' K-1 yrs than all the other years combined because of their sheer unselfconscious writing and drawings. Hmmm, I should go check the attic and make sure the mice haven't made short work of it. Thank you for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditunggu update terbarunya min , Thanks atas infonya

    ReplyDelete