Monday, October 30, 2017

Halloweensie Entry 2017

Wikimedia

I'm squeaking my entry in. It's been a gloriously busy week--all great things, so I can't complain. I love Susanna Hill's holiday writing contests, and the Halloweensie is one of my faves. 

This years rules: 

"Write a 100 word Halloween story appropriate for children (children here defined as 12 and under) (title not included in the 100 words), using the words candy cornmonster, and shadow. (Candy corn will be counted as 1 word.)"

My entry for this year coming in at 97 words:



The Choco-candy Momster

You see that thing in Mom’s old clothes?
We put her there to scare the crows,
but I know something no one knows…

On Halloween she leaves her post 
to find the sweets she loves the most.

M&Ms and Monster Mixes,
Baby Ruths and Hershey Kisses,

Toffee Heaths and almond Snickers,
which she steals from treat or trickers.

The only candy that she scorns,
are sicky, sweety candy corns.

So …

If you see her shadow creeping
do not stop her candy-reaping

Drop all your choco-goody snacks
but take your corns …

… or she’ll be back.

6 comments:

  1. Terrific poem! So much fun! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The heart of Mom lives on in her old clothes. She's my kind of scarecrow! Funtastic poem Johnell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! Super rhyming and great visuals! Yay Momster! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. It shows how much fun you had writing this fantastic Halloweensie entry! Wishing you the best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johnell, what a great job. This is one of my favorites! You're the only one to include kisses in their story. (We always have tons of those in the bottom of the bags!) Wonderful job with the rhyming and rhythm. Best of Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! And so impressed that you posted a rhyming entry! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete