Friday, September 25, 2015

Plot Arc

Ideas, characters, scenes, all these things come fairly easily when I'm sitting down to write up an idea, but I struggle with plotting. Kind of problematic when you want to write a book.

I've already mentioned that I've been taking James Patterson's Master Class, finished it in fact, and my favorite section was the one on outlining. His outlines are so detailed that the book is basically done before he starts writing the novel. 

How I wish I would have have outlined the middle grade novel I've been toiling over before I ever started writing it. I'm quickly becoming an outline convert. I should have known better. After all, my background is in public relations and we usually draw up a plan before we start implementing any of the ideas. But like so much of the past, I failed to learn from it.

I've been trying to school myself on outlining and plotting. I not necessarily a perfectionist but I am competitive with myself. I don't like to have a weakness in an area that is important to me. 

I did find three short and helpful videos. The one at the top has seven little nuggets of plotting wisdom. Number seven spoke to me loudest. Basically, if at the end of your chapter, the story hasn't moved the MC's quest forward, then the chapter is a waste of space.


The one directly above is about cluster plotting. It's geared fro NaNoWriMo but still helpful all year long. I liked the "delicious bubbles" because it's a quick way to get your thoughts in an order and see them played out in one giant picture--like a storyboard for a movie. 

And the last video is about outlining in general--the why and a little of the how. 




If anyone else struggles with this, I hope something will help. If anyone else has good outlining tips also, please feel free to suggest them in the comments. And have a great weekend.




6 comments:

  1. I do much better when I plan. Sometimes I have over 20 pages of notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Impressive. My current conundrum is outlining a book I already wrote, but know I need to in order to revise it. The plot is the weak point but it's hard to see a new one once the old one is in your mind. Lesson learned. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. I watched a presentation from an editor from HarperCollins who drew this same character arc. It wasn't as detailed, though. I need to work more on plotting and outlining. I tend to be more of a pantser!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was REALLY helpful. Thank you. Especially the first video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm so glad. I liked the first one too. Short but full of good stuff.

      Delete